Who even am I?
Another blog post! I’m feeling re-inspired, perhaps it’s lovely fabric or I’ve felt the need to try to find an escape from the relentlessness of the last few years!
Anyway, the folks at De Linum contacted me and offered me some fabric and a pattern to write a post for their fabric site. I’d don’t’ have the luxury of fabric stores down the road – and this business is based in Sawtell – about a 90 minute drive up the road from me – which in regional Australian terms is almost next door! I love to support local business as small business in regional Australia can be hard yakka indeed. I’ve since purchased three more pieces of linen from them – oops!
I’m also posting this project here (different content) because I was a bit lost when I started to tackle this project with a lack of informative blog posts… I do miss detailed blog posts. Instagram is great for inspiration – but scrolling through hashtags and clicking on captions – and sometimes finding none – is a huge time suck. So hopefully someone finds this useful.
I stumbled across their teal yarn-dyed linen I was smitten. While I adore blue, I LOVE teal with a passion.
You know I’ve been sewing for YEARS and I still learn little things all the time. For example, yarn dyed simply means the fibres are dyed and then woven – rather than a piece being dyed. The predominant colour is teal and the secondary tone is black. This provides a lovely depth to the fabric. Whatever the process… this fabric is simply divine, hands down the loveliest linen I’ve sewn. It’s vibrant in colour, soft to handle and a dream to sewn.
I choose the Mirri Jumpsuit, the twisted bodice appealed to me and given the teal and black weave of this fabric, I think it was a happy marriage of
Outrageously, I omitted pockets. I was worried they would disrupt the smooth line – and I wouldn’t put anything in them (other than my hands) – so why put them in. Plus I saved a decent scrap of fabric I may be able to re-purpose in another garment.
The jumpsuit has a zip closure and a button loop at the neckline.
I was interested to discover that this isn’t the type of ‘wrap’ that pulls the bodice tighter to your frame, rather it creates a folded effect. This is because the ties originate from the centre, immediately crossing over so the ‘pull’ effect is less than if the ties originated at the sides… not sure this makes sense! I suspect on someone with a fuller bust, the wrap would look quite different.
I basted my pattern pieces together and discovered the torso length was too short. I added an inch to the pants rise. There was no shorten/lengthen line on the bodice which surprised me. I think proportionally adding to both would be my preference. Nevertheless, I’m still very happy with the overall look.
I chose my size based on the body measurements – grading to a larger size between the bodice and my hips.
I am (just) 5 foot 4 inches tall – and have a long torso, shorter legs.
Pattern: Mirri Jumpsuit, Papercut Patterns
Papercut have changed their pattern stock and presentation. I always loved their original brown cardboard square packages and heavy duty pattern paper. The instructions on the paper did drive me slightly barmy.
The newer format is on lighter paper – not as fragile as Big 4 patterns. And the instructions in a highly detailed separate stapled booklet. Great presentation and good quality.
Fabric: Yarn Dyed Linen, De Linum Fabrics, Australia
While this fabric was gifted, I loved it so much I went and purchased another 2.5m length immediately… and some aqua linen for a pair of Agnes Pajamas.
Tool tip: button loops are much more crisp if you pop a clapper on the loop after pressing.
This project made me feel this happy…