Yes, I liked the bodice so much I was curious about how Holly would look as a dress. So here it is…
I had planned a maxi. Decided the floral would be a little too overwhelming. Considered the quarter-circle skirt using the By Hand London app but having not drafted one before, there only being one side seam (the bodice has two, I like balance, yes a bit OCD) – and no back-up fabric… I decided to use the bias-cut skirt of Vogue 1351 (made previously here) as it was in my pattern pile – an easy option. I opted for a simple skirt to match the simple bodice, I felt gathers or pleats would not be a good match or balance. I also felt too much fabric in the skirt would create too much strain on the narrow straps – while this is rayon, it’s not a really flimsy rayon.
The skirt was a little wider so I shaved off some of the sides. SoNotTechnicalLizzy. It worked. Making this & adding a skirt was very easy, not rocket science at all. In fact it’s easier than making the jumpsuit. Less fabric, less seams. The skirt need not be bias cut either.
I also machined the straps, rather than hand stitching as I did with Holly the First and Holly the Second. I was curious to see how the straps differed. While hand sewing takes longer – I do prefer the straps slip-stitched to the bodice and along the edges to finish them.
SOME LITTLE DETAILS…
Sorry these pictures were snapped on my iPhone while racing out the door for the school run and work, hence not the best quality.
I used my roll-hem foot – which gives the skirt hem a nice fluted effect.
I also turned the edges of the cowl under as I attached the straps as this completely hid the little hem of the cowl neckline when I wear it.
Thanks for reading 🙂